<$BlogRSDURL$>

3.13.2004


what about those "friend of friends?" 

remember friendster? that was my first foray into this online networking thing. supposedly, it was less "sleazy" and "desperate" to sign on to these "friend of friends" things since you would only be cyber mingling with--you got it, friends of friends. yeah, that was until foolios started making it some kind of social ladder competition, where winners were rewarded with the most "friendsters." people would accumulate over 400 friends (like one of my "friendsters"), hence, creating a cyber network of over 2 million people. now, is that still "friend of friends?" to me, friendster is dead. my profile is still up, but who the hell looks at it other than me?

on friendster, you can specify if you were interested in: dating, serious relationship, friends and/or activity partners. "activity partners?" i had that on my profile for almost a year before i realized, i don't know what the hell that is! that, and no one ever contacted me to be their activity partner! perhaps it was too sexually suggestive.

friendster did spawn all these other "friend of friend" networks: myspace.com, ringo.com, and now, hi5.com. but, what i wanna know is, who's hooking up on friendster these days? anyone? anyone? let us know, we'd like to hear your story! (sorry, for the trash talk show announcement).

well, there are these two guys who "bookmarked" me. (on friendster, the equivalent to a "wink" is a "bookmark," where you can let a person know that "you've got your eye on them.") these guys have bookmarked me, but it's not like they sent me a message. why bookmark me?

the thing about online dating is that it can contribute to complacency. if someone sends you a message, you can write back, or not. it's not very likely that the person will find you and verbally bawl you out for being insensitive or neglectful or just plain anti-social. i can be pretty anti-social myself. who the hell would think online spaces would make me more social or interactive?

so trin, don't worry about the lack of email responses these past days. we all could just be lazy online networkers.